Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Healing Place Church's Servolution OCS Fun Day!!!!!

This is what it was all about!
Fashion Fun with only newspaper and duct tape!!

Girl winner of the blindfolded drawing contest!


Volunteer looking so "trendy!"


All the awesome donated gifts to give to the children!


Boy winner of the blindfolded drawing contest!



The amazing volunteers!!


Whipped Cream Eating Contest!!!!!

Fasion Fun with newspaper and duct tape!!

Fashion Fun in action!!!!!

Looking good!!

Whipped Cream Eating Contest!!


They loved this!!!!!


Overly Dressed, Hula Hoop, Basketball, Blowing Bubble obstacle course!!!!!


Blindfolded Drawing Contest!!!!!


Beautiful corsages made by the Real Simple Lifegroup to give to the hardworking OCS workers!!!!! Thanks so much, Amy!


Servolution! Wow! What an awesome way to show Jesus to our communities! It was more than just an event for me and I am sure many others who were part of Servolution feel the same way that it is a lifestyle I and they want to make sure to continue. It is a way to outwardly express Jesus' love to others. The red shirts were all over. The day before our OCS Fun Day, I was shopping at Walmart for a few last minute items and ran into a red Serve shirt and you just feel like you already know that person. This lady and I were strangers but the commonality of that red shirt made us feel like family and we talked like we knew each other for a while!! The next morning, the day of our Servolution event I ran to another Walmart to get the balloons and whipped cream and there was another red shirt coming my way down one of the aisles. I said, hey where are you serving today. And without thinking she smiled and told me where they were heading. I didn't know her but I knew her heart as she walked toward me in the red Serve shirt! I loved it!!


OCS Fun Day was a huge success. Kiwanis cooked the delicious jambalaya, Wendy's Wonderful Kids donated the hamburgers and hotdogs and Tommy and Heath cooked them! The Space Walks were provided by All Around Town and HHFO hosted the place and served! On a serious note though, fun is not a word I would normally associate with being in the foster care system but this day was a special unique day. It was a day to bring together families who want to adopt with children who were available for adoption. It was truly an honor to serve the OCS workers, the children, and the families!! The best part about this event was you got to see how amazing these precious children are. I have to be honest and say this was a very emotional day for me as it was for others that were there. It is heart wrenching to know that I live in a world with so many families yet I was around 19 children who have no family to call their own. That broke me! I was still emotional about it last night. And still emotional about it entering church this morning and during worship I could not hold it back any longer. I sobbed for these children as the worship team sung Jesus all I need is you and then I continued crying as Amazing Grace was sung! HHFO's passion is orphaned children. Our passion is adoption. The only thing this OCS Fun Day did for us was to fuel a flame that already exists! I saw it in the Slack's eyes and I saw it in the Rohner's eyes. I also saw it in some of our volunteers eyes!! I believe that more can be done and my prayer is that God would show us what more to do and I just wholeheartedly thank OCS for allowing us to partner with them for this event!


And to the many wonderful amazing volunteers!!!!!..... You were truly Jesus to the children and to the families!! Thank all of you from the bottom of our heart for your heart to serve!! You made the Fun Day what it was!! Alliece, Donna, and Paul!!!!! Thanks for being available at a moment's notice and helping us make this event run so smooth! And Pastor Dino and Johnny, thanks for letting us do this!! And to Cooking for Christ for the awesome brownies!!!!! and thanks Emily-Joy for the pictures!!

2 comments:

Nanette said...

Wow! Looks like it was a huge success. Wish I could have been there. I am sure the children will always remember the love they were shown by all of you.

Anonymous said...

Surely did look like a fun time. You know, many times people want to help orphans but are unable to adopt because of age or situation. I found a great way to help at http://www.foodfororphans.org/. This ministry is dedicated to feeding orphans world wide. Just $15 will feed 1 orphan for a month! Go to their website to find out more. They don't ship food, they actually visit the orphanages and find someone trustworthy who will receive the funds and purchase the food for the orphans in that country. Very efficient way to use their donated funds.

Orphan Statistics

5.5 million orphans in Africa, 3.5 million orphans in Asia, 1.5 million orphans in Eastern Europe, Nearly 400,000 orphans in Latin America, 135,000 children in the U.S. foster care system.